This seems to be the recipe that I receive the most requests for. I once had a call from India from a student because she had lost her copy! This recipe freezes beautifully.
Jewish Apple Cake
- 4 to 6 firm apples, peeled and sliced
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 ¼ cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 Tbs. baking powder
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 2 ½ tsp. vanilla
- Preheat the oven to 350°F, and grease and flour a l0-inch tube pan.
- In a medium bowl, combine the apples with the cinnamon and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, with an electric mixer at medium speed, combine the remaining sugar, the flour, baking powder, oil, eggs, orange juice, salt, and the vanilla.
- Beat just until the batter is smooth.
- Pour a small amount of the batter into the prepared pan, and place a layer of the apple slices on top.
- Continue layering in this fashion, ending with a layer of batter.
- Bake at 350°F for 1½ hours, or until it tests done.
- Cool the cake in its pan for 30 minutes on a wire rack; then turn the cake out onto the rack to cool thoroughly.
Sheilah Kaufman is a traveling cooking teacher and author of 25 cookbooks.
Other Articles You May Like
To find awesome listings near you!