These Sukkot-themed conversation starters are designed to spark dialogue between you and your partner. With the harvest festival right around the corner, this is one way to connect to the themes of the holiday and to your significant other. The next time you’re hanging on the couch, take a few minutes to reflect together.
1. Sukkot reminds us to appreciate our home. What special item in your home represents your religion, faith tradition or upbringing? Discuss!
2. During Sukkot we traditionally welcome guests called “ushpizin” into our sukkah. What real or fictional, living or deceased guest would you want to invite for a meal? And why?
3. The holiday of Sukkot celebrates nature and harvest. Talk about a positive memory you have when you were together in nature.
4. Sukkot inspires us to celebrate harvest foods. What’s your favorite seasonal meal? (Bonus points if you cook it together!)
5. The sukkah represents the temporary structures that the Israelites built as they were wandering the desert for 40 years. With the experiences we were temporarily unable to participate in last year due to COVID-19, what are you excited to experience together this year?