Frosting (if you and your family love icing, feel free to double this recipe!)
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease and line a 12-cup cupcake or muffin tray.
18 months+: Help pass you cupcake liners.
3+ years: grease the pan, and put the liners in.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and sea salt. Set aside.
18 months+: mix the ingredients.
3+: measure and mix ingredients.
3. In the bowl of an electric mixer, or in a bowl using a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar, craping down the sides as needed.
18 months+: add butter and sugar to bowl.
3+: add butter and sugar to bowl, scrape down sides.
4. Add vanilla, mixing until combined.
18 months+: add vanilla.
5. Add eggs one at a time, until incorporated.
6+: crack and whisk eggs .
6. In a small bowl, combine sour cream, lemon zest and juice.
18 months+: add sour cream to the bowl.
3+: add all ingredients to bowl, whisk.
6+: squeeze lemons, zest lemons (if comfortable), measure sour cream and stir.
7. Add ½ sour cream and flour alternately until combined.
3+: add flour and sour cream to bowl.
8. Divide batter evenly in the liners, filling ¾ full.
3+: help portion batter into liners.
9. Bake for 18-22 minutes or until golden and a toothpick comes out dry.
10. Cool completely.
1. Add butter to the base of a stand mixer or bowl.
18 months+: add butter to bowl.
2. Add icing sugar, ½ cup at a time, mixing on high until light and fluffy.
18 months+: add icing sugar.
3. Add lemon juice, and zest until incorporated.
4. Transfer to a piping bag, or spread with a knife or spoon.
3+ years: help transfer icing to a piping bag or bowl.
5. Ice the cupcakes. Top with a sprig of rosemary and additional lemon zest to symbolize the lulav and etrog.
18 months+: help ice cupcakes, add rosemary and lemon zest.