Stuffed Eggplant with Meat and Tahini
1. Preheat oven to 425 °F (218 °C). Using a small paring knife, cut out eggplant flesh, leaving ½ inch (1.2 cm) border around the inside of the eggplant. This will help hold the filling. Chop up the reserved eggplant flesh and set aside.
2. In a large skillet over medium heat, drizzle with olive oil and add ground beef and cook until mostly cooked through. Then make a space in the center of the pan and add chopped onions. Cook together until onions are softened, for another 3-4 minutes.
3. Next add the chopped eggplant and garlic and cook everything together until the eggplant softens and garlic is cooked. Use a large spoon to help break up the eggplant and meat so it becomes one homogenous mixture.
4. Add chopped tomatoes, tomato paste and spices and stir everything together. Taste for seasoning.
5. Arrange eggplant shells on foil lined baking sheet and stuff meat mixture inside eggplant and drizzle tops with olive oil. Bake for 18-20 minutes until eggplants are cooked and deepened in color.
6. Remove from oven and serve with tahini and top with pomegranate salsa (recipe below)
Blood Orange Pomegranate Salsa
Add all salsa ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine. If not serving immediately, place in airtight container in the fridge, which will keep for up to 4 days.