1. First roast the garlic and tomatoes. Wrap the garlic in foil and roast at 400º Fahrenheit until very tender, about 30-4- minutes. On the same baking sheet, place tomato slices on foil lined sheet with a drizzle of oil and roast for about 30-40 minutes. Then remove from oven and allow to cool.
2. While the garlic is roasting, soak the potatoes in cold water.
3. Then shred the potatoes using either a hand grater or shred blade in a food processor and shred the shallot too.
4. Take the shreds and place a handful at a time in a clean towel and using that to squeeze as much liquid out of the potatoes as you can so they are very dry.
5. Then in a large bowl, add the potatoes and shallot, egg, matzo meal, roasted garlic (skin removed) and season with salt and pepper. Mix to combine.
6. Bring 1/2 inch of canola oil up to 350º Fahrenheit or until you can test it with a piece of potato and it sizzles. Then use a tablespoon to scoop latkes and carefully placing them in the oil. Use the back of your spoon to gently flatten them out. Fry for about 3-4 minutes or until golden brown and flip to the other side and fry for another 3 minutes.
7. Then remove the latkes onto a paper toweled lined baking sheet and sprinkle with salt.
8. To make the basil oil, simple add chopped basil and olive oil together into a blender or small food processor and blend together. Set aside.
9. To assemble, top latkes with roasted tomato, a dollop of burrata cheese and drizzle with basil oil.