Make the honey syrup
1. Heat the honey and water until it is well combined.
2. Take off heat and stir in the rose water or orange juice. Set aside.
Make the dough
1. Pour contents of yeast packet into a bowl and mix in 2 tbsp warm water. Let yeast activate for about 10 minutes. Small bubbles should form.
2. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, egg and salt with a wooden spoon or whisk.
Slowly pour in the 3/4 cup water until a sticky dough forms.
3. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for an hour.
Fry the doughnuts
1. Heat a deep, heavy pot filled 3″ high with vegetable oil to 350º
2. Wet your hands and dip a large spoon in oil and spoon out some dough into your hands. It’s tricky but try to form the dough into a round then carefully lower into the oil. If they come out in more of a fritter shape, don’t worry. They will still taste delicious.
3. Move the dough around in the oil with a slotted spoon until the donuts are lightly brown on all sides.
4. Carefully remove from oil with slotted spoon and immediately lower into your honey syrup. Coat generously and place on serving platter or roll them in your favorite nuts. We love pistachios and walnuts.
Eat immediately. They taste best warm.