Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year, gives us an opportunity to reflect on the past year and look forward to the year ahead. These conversation starters are designed to spark dialogue between you and your partner. Take a few minutes the next time you’re hanging on the couch to reflect together before the High Holy Days.
And if you’re engaged or recently married, check out Our Year of Firsts — a new program designed to help you explore the deeper meaning behind Jewish holidays, discuss your interfaith relationship, create new traditions together and meet other interfaith couples. These conversation starters should help kick off a rich discussion with your partner.
1. What is something you really appreciate about your partner that you feel you haven’t told them or haven’t told them often enough?
2. What is one challenge you’ve overcome together in the last year?
3. What’s something you really like about your own religion and what’s something you find challenging about your own religion?
4. What’s something you really like about your partner’s religion and what’s something you find challenging about your partner’s religion?
5. What is one hope you have for the two of you as a couple in the year ahead?